Sunday, November 14, 2010

PORK STEW WITH FRESH CREAM AND EVERLASTING


Have you ever taken a walk on a country road of Sardinia?
If you have then you've almost certainly smelled the sharp, sweet and sour essence of Helichrysum, aka Everlasting. It's one of the most characteristic herb of the Macchia Mediterranea and it's renowned for its antinflammatory properties.
But that's nothing new.
My aunt has always used it for cooking and, as scepctical as I was, I hardly believed it could work.
Well, I had to change my mind the day I tried it for the first time.
Since then, everytime I'm stewing pork or veal meat I sprinkle few dry leaves of everlasting and that makes a huge difference!

for 4 people

600 g of loin of pork, diced
4 tablespoons of extravirgin olive oil
half a glass of white wine
3 tablespoon of fresh cream
a little twig of everlasting
salt
black pepper
fresh parsley and marjoram to garnish

Season the diced pork with salt and pepper, put it in a pan with the olive oil and cook on a high flame until the meat surfaces have picked a golden shade and the meat liquid has boiled off. Add now the white wine, soon after the cream and let boil off for a while, then add the twig of everlasting, turn the heat down to a simmer and cover with the lid.
Cook for one hour.
Before taking the pan off the heat check that the juice is nice and thick. If it's not take the lid off and turn the heat up for few minutes.
Garnish with fresh parsley and marjoram and serve with a fresh salad on a side.








No comments:

Post a Comment